Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Queen Bean A/C and Scientific Obscenities

Remember to bring a sweater if you ever want to sit inside at the Queen Bean in Modesto. They have the A/C blasting like it's still July-101 degrees outside, when actually, it's only Oct-75; in here it "feels like" Dec-65 with the wind factor. Bring extra socks.

My iced coffee is inconspicuously NOT gathering a ring of condensation even though I haven't touched it in 3 websites (re: grad school) because the temperature is so low, the ice isn't melting, hence no ring. Correct my science, if needed, please. Ever since my mother-teacher told little 10-year-old, homeschooled me than the ground was pushing back at me, I have shut out most, if not all, attempts to teach me about the physics of our lovely, hospitable planet.

Science needs to fix its obscene language. Inanimate objects don't verb, besides exist--and even that is debatable. The use of force doesn't bother me, and exert engery because energy doesn't imply life, but only having presence in the physical world--which is appropriate for an inanimate object, like a rock. The only inanimate object, in my opinion, that is so offensive as to deserve attribution of a verb is this A/C which is imposing upon me in such a horribly aggressive way that I will be leaving soon so I don't lose a toe.



Epilogue:
I motion for Science to remove inappropriate metaphors from its speech, as they caused me to subconsciously reject all further lessons which may have positively affected my character and discipline as a student, and possibly led me into more advantageous careers and given me an opportunity for grad school fellowships rather than compiling loans for yet another useless degree.

1 comment:

  1. So since I have a concert review due tomorrow from which I keep "needing" breaks, I found myself here. No guarantees on actually making sense, though I'd love to discuss this further.

    It's true that really the ground doesn't have the life to be pushing back at you. A more accurate description is that the ground exerts a force on you in response, which ultimately only reflects the density or strength of the material, like a rock. If the rock isn't strong enough, then you fall through. The best way I know to understand the breaking point, even if it's indirectly, is by studying the external forces on the rock, like your weight. Then you know that the rock has at least enough strength as the force you exert on it. While the rock/ground probably is strong enough to take a lot more force, usually the only part needed to understand other questions is the amount that relates to you. This is one of the strange conundrums that results from a slight oversimplification. I blame engineers, though it probably isn't actually their fault at all.

    ReplyDelete